IMG_8829_1 blog banner

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Inspired

My mom used to make me dresses when I was little (and a matching one for my Cabbage Patch Kid). She was also able to mend something if it tore, sew on buttons, and make sparkly hair things for the entire volleyball team. She taught me how to sew. But then I forgot. I thought it was too hard...to many contraptions on that sewing machine. I didn't want to sew something if I could just buy it. Then I started seeing how some of my friends were sewing some really cute stuff. My friend Jamie has sewn what? hundreds of outfits? My friend Jen even has her own serger (which as I understand it is a really fancy machine that makes seams like you'd see in your Gap jeans). My friend Casey made her own curtains that looks like they would cost hundreds of dollars. My friend Hillary doesn't even have a girl, but she makes the cutest little dresses and tops for little girls. Anyway, there is plenty of inspiration around me. So I thought it's worth a shot. And while what I've done is certainly not perfect, I want to show it b/c if I can do it, a monkey can. I'm so NOT the meticulous steak cutter that my husband is, and most everything I ever do is crooked, backwards, frayed, or burnt. So if you are thinking about trying your hand at sewing, go for it, because I'm proof that you can hide a crooked stitch. It's so rewarding. My kids have told me countless times how much they love what I make them and thank me lots of times each time they wear it. They really do get excited about it.

So my friend Hillary sent me this link to a tutorial on how to make these way cute boy pants (I struggle to find something to make Graham since he is always jealous when he doesn't get what I make for Evie). So that's where the inspiration for these came from. I haven't washed and dried them yet, so there's a little room for shrinkage.





Stuffing the pockets full of rocks!



Then this one for Evie I actually did have a pattern for, and it feels so summery. If the weather ever turns it will be perfect!






Back pocket...



With their new (outdoor, mice-hunting) kitties...



These overalls were not at all what I wanted when I made them, but they have been great for playing outside.

6 comments:

Gramma said...

You make me sound like a great mom, Thnaks.

PEEPER said...

I love it! When can you come over for a sewing bee on my front porch??

jamie said...

love'em....they are perfect!

jamie said...

and I wouldn't say it was hundreds of outfits, just a few and then some other small stuff and then some other really big stuff. The point is, I just sew what I love and for those I love!!

Paula said...

Wow, Sara!! What beautiful things you have made!!! What great looking models, too!! I love that jumper outfit on Graham! So cute!

PEEPER said...

Hey, Sara...here is a tutorial you could use for either Graham OR Evie and its easy-peasy!

http://cally-cruze.blogspot.com/2010/11/10-minute-tee-shirt-pajama-pants.html