Last night we taped Evie dancing the lawn mower, sprinkler, and various other dances that her father does at weddings, thus finishing up the recording space on a mini dvd. We popped it in the dvd player to watch it when we took it out of the camcorder. We had been recording on it periodically for the past couple of months. I can just imagine watching this in ten years and nostalgically wanting to go back in these moments that I'm experiencing right now. My favorite thing on the dvd was a scene where I had my greasy morning hair slicked back into a pony tail, my pajamas on, and Evie and I were dancing to some big band song by Michael Buble. I can remember thinking, I hope Greg is just taping her, and isn't getting my sleepless dirty self in this video...and although I looked like death it really showed the fun we were having together, and mostly the delight that Evie was getting from her mommy dancing with her. I had a pretty hard time with Graham's birth as far as what I went through physically and emotionally for the first month or so. And at the time I thought this is the last time I can put my body through this. But all of that is such a small amount of suffering when compared to the joy that I get from dancing with Evie, or from having a sleepy baby scented Graham fall asleep on my shoulder. Kids are the best thing a couple can do, and I am so thankful for them.
There is a blog of an Australian photographer that I check regularly. Her pictures are fantastic, but that's not the reason I check it. Here name is
Sheye Rosemeyer and she lost her daughter
Ava last summer when she climbed into a hot car and couldn't get herself out. She has other children too (two boys and a little baby girl that looks a whole lot like Ava). Occasionally she'll put a picture of Ava up with some touching poetic words that come so easy to her. Sheye reminds me how lucky and blessed I really am. I hug Evie a little tighter when I think about how lucky I am that she is happy and healthy and with me everyday.